The world as it is known is now a global village and almost everything is computerized and millions of Nigerians go online every day to search for information, read news, download or watch movies or songs and so many other things. A lot brands and product companies use these medium to advertise their product and reach their target audience. Online advertising is actually one of the most common forms of advertising in Nigeria these days and Lagosians are amongst the highest users of the internet in Nigeria.
So, let’s try to understand what online advertising is. According to Wikipedia, Online advertising, also called online marketing or Internet advertising, is a form of marketing and advertising which uses the Internet to deliver promotional marketing messages to consumers. It includes email marketing, search engine marketing (SEM), social media marketing, many types of display advertising (including web banner advertising), and mobile advertising.
Since the early 1990s there has been a magnificent increase in the growth of online advertising, which has evolved into a standard for small and large organizations. No doubt online advertising campaigns are great strategies that can improve the brand or product awareness. It is an efficient way that can help you adapt with the change of the times and to evolve an effective marketing.
· Wide coverage: The Internet's vast reach can allow advertisers to reach significantly more of their target market than traditional advertising media. Internet advertising is efficient for businesses with a national or international target market and large-scale distribution capabilities also it has quick promotion of product information without geographical boundary limits. An internet advert can be seen by people in the deepest reaches of Lagos via their PCs, mobile phones and other internet enabled devices.
· Branding circle: Online advertising does not typically replace traditional methods of advertising; it does however complete the branding circle. With its billions of users around the world (millions of them in Lagos, Nigeria), online display has huge potentials to create new opportunities for businesses to grow and expand. Tri-media advertising (print, TV, and radio) alone cannot reach every market anymore particularly when activating brands. You need to complement tri-media with online advertising to tap the Web’s large market; Advertising on the Internet is almost a necessity for modern businesses, especially those that do business outside of their local community. Consumers use the Internet for more than simply entertainment, huge number of Nigerians use the Internet to assist them in nearly every aspect of life,(most people cannot even go a day without the use of Google, Facebook, twitter or even Linda Ikeji blog) creating countless opportunities for brands or companies to place relevant, targeted adverts messages
· Cost: Advertising is costly yes, but it is more costly when a company or brand is forced to sign up contract for long term advertising when you only need short exposures eg. political campaigns, promotion of an event, or a coming sale. Online display advertising can be as short as it is necessary. It costs less and can also give you the opportunity to control and make changes in your campaign based on the performance of the adverts and this is why having control in your advertising is good. You can also test a strategy and change it when the feedback is not as good as you expect. While it may work like giant billboard in many ways, stripping it down to tweak it is not as hard and costly.
· Reputation: wants their target market to trust their brand. This happens when they see you have enough going for you (information, history, testimonies etc) Being a big player credibility and reliability goes a long way. easily achieved in online marketing.
· Featured on relevant sites. Your knowledge of the interests of your typical customer can take you further to include the knowledge of the websites that they usually visit or content that they read. And this is where marketing research comes in. Adverts featured on a relevant site increase the chances of getting noticed. It’s a waste if after spending so much money effort and time on an ad campaign and it goes unnoticed. Placing ads on the sites not visited by your target market is a futile and expensive exercise.
· Consumers Review: Having the ability to track or getting feedback from your ads is critical. Other advertising forms can be hard to track; using can let you in on a weekly even daily updates. This kind of information tells you whether your advertising/marketing effort is succeeding or you need to changes it. Feedback reports can guide you to better strategies and more successful marketing If you know your target demographics, you would understand their interests and what can captivate them. Use the knowledge to design your display ads to entice and grab their attention. For instance, younger targets would normally be interested in the social media and celebrity icons while young professionals would be interested in niches like health, family, and business
· Future Reference: The internet is likely to continue to play a large role in individuals’ lives in the foreseeable future. Whether personal computers remain the dominant method of accessing the Internet, some form of global communication network will likely be a reality for many generations, creating effective avenues of sending advertising messages to consumers in the community and around the world.
Likewise other advertising media, online advertising involves both a publisher, who integrates advertisements into its online content, and an advertiser, who provides the advertisements to be displayed on the publisher's content. Other potential participants include advertising agencies that help generate and place the ad copy, an ad server that technologically delivers the ad and tracks statistics, and advertising affiliates who do independent promotional work for the advertiser.
If you are thinking of advertising in Nigeria, please contact PoiseMedia Communications at www.poisemedianigeria.com or check our contact at the bottom of this blog. We can help you identify your market and reach them. We apply both BTL and ATL strategies to project our clients’ brands to the right audience. We can do same for you at very affordable price.
PoiseMedia Communications Ltd