A unique selling proposition (USP) is what defines your company’s unique position in the marketplace. A strong unique selling proposition makes you stand out from competitors.
USP is about considering all aspects of the marketing mix and examining what makes your business unique, thick and attractive to the consumer. If these factors lead to a competitive advantage then you have your Unique Selling Propositions. These USPs are major contributory factor to what makes your business successful. As such, it should always take front row in your marketing and branding strategy.
Some advantages of having a USP are;
less persuasion for consumers to use other products from the same brand.
- Can ensure
a lasting customer relationship due to trust.
- It aids
recognition in a cluttered marketplace.
differentiation between very similar products.
attract merchandising contracts.
- Leads to
the perception of quality.
- Allows you to avoid the trap of trying to “please everyone” .
Now let’s look at why you need to develop your brand’s unique selling point
- Differentiation: It’s likely that many of your prospective customers might have challenges deciding or choosing which option to go for. People want to get value for their time and money. Some customers don’t know what differentiates one brand from another. That’s why it is your job to assist them by making your unique selling proposition obvious, different and memorable enough that they can see exactly what your business has to offer that the competitors don’t. In order to be remembered in a cluttered marketplace, it helps if your business has a trait that is worth remembering.
- Appeal to an Ideal Customer: Finding your ideal customer often takes time. When you’ve finally identified the perfect person to sell to, it makes sense to appeal to them through every aspect of your business.
- Increment in sales: Having a Unique Selling Point helps you increase your sales because more consumers are drawn by what you promise to convey to them that others cannot. Satisfied consumers indirectly advertise the benefits of the service to others around them and such people are probably going to try them out.
- Personal: A strong personality can be incorporated into a company’s unique selling proposition. Before you can begin to sell your product or service to anyone else, you have to sell yourself on it. This is especially important when your product or service is similar to those around you. Very few businesses are one of a kind.
- Customer's shoes: Too often, brand owner fall in love with their product or service and forget that it is the customer's needs, not their own, that they must satisfy. You have to bear in mind what your customers really want. Quality, convenience, reliability, friendliness, cleanliness, courtesy or customer service, all these and more is what most customers want. Remember, price is never the only reason people buy. If your competition is beating you on pricing because they are larger, you have to find another sales feature that addresses the customer's needs and then build your sales and promotional efforts around that feature.
- Know what motivates your customers’ behavior and buying decisions: Effective marketing requires you to be able to read people. It helps to know what drives and motivates customers. How to promote and position your business to highlight your USP.
- Discover the reasons customers buy your product instead of a competitor's: As your business grows, you'll be able to ask your customers. You have to understand why such consumers prefer your own product to the competitors, for you never can tell, until you ask. They may prefer the looks, color, taste, quantity of such products. Know what they see in your business and product that retains their loyalty. Then develop your selling point based on that.
If you are thinking of advertising in Nigeria, please contact PoiseMedia Communications at www.poisemedianigeria.com or check our contact at the bottom of this blog. We can help you identify your market and reach them. We apply both BTL and ATL strategies to project our clients’ brands to the right audience. We can do same for you at very affordable price.
Business Development Officer
PoiseMedia Communications Ltd